What is Build Love?
Build Love is a non-profit organization that brings the community together to provide a home renovation to someone who lives with permanent non-typical challenges. Through major fundraising, community investment partnerships, and the commitment of hundreds of volunteers, Build Love will transform someone’s home to improve their quality of life. This is an annual campaign inspired by the goal to improve lives and strengthen community through meaningful acts of empathy, compassion, and collaboration. Build Love was founded in 2018.
How did this get started?
In 2018 the Kennedy family was originally seeking construction quotes for a bathroom renovation to improve accessibility for Vienna, as a part of the application criteria to request funding from Kinsmen Telemiracle. YQR Built (formerly Superior FD Contracting) and Collaborative Construction both received the call to provide quotes. Together they recognized the opportunity to provide a bathroom renovation to the Kennedy family for no cost. The response from local business community was so enthusiastic that the bathroom renovation transformed into a complete home renovation and inspired the formation of Build Love. Read More…
Who is helping?
Since Build Love was formed, hundreds of tradespeople, contractors, and suppliers from Regina and surrounding area have stepped up to provide labour, building materials and other required services to the project. In addition, over 400 people have joined Build Love’s volunteer team to help build love in our community.
How is Build Love helping others in the community?
Construction materials and home appliances that are in good condition will be salvaged and donated to YWCA Regina which provides critical, life-changing services to women and families. In 2017, YWCA Regina shelters and residence supported close to 900 women and children who have experienced homelessness, while its Outreach team worked with over 100 women intensively, and offered drop-in supports to another 94 women.
How can people get involved?
– Become a sponsor. Do you have a company that has services to offer and think you may be a good fit? Contact our sponsorship team for further details.
– Sign up to volunteer! We have many volunteer opportunities throughout the year and they don’t all involve swinging a hammer. Being added to the list means you will receive details about these opportunities and from there, decide whether it’s something that fits your skill set/schedule. Don’t live in Regina or the surrounding area? You can still sign up for our general mailing list to receive progress updates, upcoming event notifications, etc.
– Donate! We take cash donations via our website. Contributions go towards various project costs such as building materials and labor, house furnishings and appliances, volunteer meals, printing services, software subscriptions, etc.
– Purchase some Build Love branded swag. All profits from our apparel sales go directly to the annual project costs listed above. Not only that, but wearing Build Love is a great conversation piece. Tell your friends about what we are doing. (Don’t see your size? Email our retail team to check on availability or be notified of a re-order.)
– Follow along on our social channels (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube) and interact with our posts. Even something as simple as a “like” or “share” can help us spread the word of cultivating kindness in our community.
– Pay it forward! Hopefully after stumbling upon us and our cause, we have inspired you to Build Love in your own community. There are always organizations looking for help and trust us when we say that they aren’t the only ones benefiting. Whether it be a smile on your face or being able to see the impact you’ve made on another’s life – volunteering is personally rewarding in many ways as well!
What is done with the money that Build Love raises?
Build Love is grateful for contributions from our gracious sponsors which cover a large portion of the project costs throughout the year.
Funds raised via internal and external fundraising events, apparel sales and cash donations go towards various additional project costs such as building materials and labor, house furnishings and appliances, volunteer meals, printing services, software subscriptions, etc.
Is Build Love a registered charity? Can you provide me with a tax receipt for my contribution?
Build Love Project is a registered non-profit organization. Build Love is NOT a registered charity and therefore cannot provide tax receipts to individuals or corporations.
If you are a sponsor providing cash or in-kind contributions, it is recommended that you discuss with your accountant how this can be considered a business expense.
Does Build Love exist outside of Regina, Saskatchewan?
Due to being 100% run by volunteers, Build Love is currently only operating within the city limits of Regina, Saskatchewan.
Are any of the members of the Build Love team paid?
No. All members of the Build Love team volunteer their time.